martes, 2 de octubre de 2012



I have a mate in my tai-chi class who is doing his PhD in the University of Edinburgh. He is a foreign student as me, and have told me that the only way to get fluent in English (enough fluent as to write Essays in a university level) is trying to think indeed in English.

Not translation. Use punctuation: commas, doc and so on. Forget about long and complicated phrases, the simplest the better in English. (This last is going to be a hard one, as you have seen, in Spanish I love to do such a long, complicated, full of adjectives phrases... However, do not believe me to be pedantic; as I am just following Herodotus style, that is all. (If you have ever translated Herodotus from ancient Greek into Spanish, you can understan why I am saying this).

Anyway, I want to try writing in English, and having this wonderful space, I am not going to open another. I know is going to be hard, I know some of you would not like it (basically because is more difficult to understand). But, honestly. I am no Shakespeare (yet) just a girl studing in Edinburgh, so my English is still plane, simple, with reduced vocabulary and most of the times follows the Spanish structure.

And if still you think I mad, I will tell you a thing: It could have been worse. I would have wanted to practise my Japanese writting...



1 comentario:

Unknown dijo...

Wow! cuanto tiempo sin pasarme por aquí, no sabía que estabas por Edimburgo!!
Creo que el consejo que te han dado es el mejor, que pienses en inglés. Hala, a mí no me viene mal leer en inglés, so...
A mí me gusta mucho ver pelis y series en VO y luego, me quedo pensando en inglés, ¡no me doy cuenta hasta que me topo con algún concepto que no se describir en inglés! Es una risa... Nah! yo y mis locuras.
Un besito guapa.
PD: How's the weather?